Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Back from the PT again and good news

Okay so this is an update to my earlier post. Miller and I headed back to KC for a post-national check up. I am happy to say that although he is very tight, we are making progress and looks like after 6 more weeks of rest, we should be cleared to compete again. I had originally set the January 1st USDAA show as our come back but have now moved that back to the January 23rdish AKC show in Lawrence. It is an AKC show so two runs a day which should be easier on him for sure. I am so pleased that we have a plan of attack and am looking forward to getting him back to 100%. In addition to our stretches and massages, we are adding a magnet therapy that is new. I have found that the easiest way to handle the magnet is to use an ace bandage, especially for the treatment on his back. I am really hoping he responds well to this therapy as it is so easy to administer and I don't have to find a PT locally to do ultrasound. We are going to do this for ten days so this is day one.

Some one asked me what my goals were for Miller and I had to really think. Well, he is 10 so I have to start being realistic. I would like to finish my P3 titles in USDAA but we only do a handful a year so that might be tough. For P3, I need three legs in standard and one leg in each of the games and I have one leg already in standard and in jumpers. I could just do a few shows with just jumpers and standard and then just do gamblers and snooker but it will be tough since we have so few shows to even go to. My other goal for him is to do better than we did last year at AKC nationals since we are qualified. I want to have more than two clean runs and five would be the icing on the cake. Not sure about qualifying for nationals in AKC at this point. I have heard that they are going to move it to FL in 2011 and that is too far for me to drive him. If it happens that he qualifies, I will be happy but I am not pushing for it this coming year. I would LOVE to qualify for nationals in USDAA again this coming year but again, it depends on where it will be. If it will be held in KY, I want to go for sure but if it is on the east coast, not going to go. I will just stay local and go to the local USDAA shows in Lawrence and Columbia unless Lori needs a traveling partner. Another MACH is not a goal as I don't like running for the Q so if it happens great, if not then no big deal. I am at this point not thinking about running him in preferred. The jumps are lowered but the a-frame and dog walk are not and I do think the climbing is harder on them than the jumping. I will cross that bridge when we get there but I don't think we are there yet. My biggest goal is to run him and have fun doing it and for him to have fun running and be pain free and make myself a better trainer and a better handler. If titles or MACHs happen along the way, then great. I am lowering my expectations for sure but we will have fun anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment